This .pdf download is a free online course walking through the basics of using a map and compass.
- Putting toothpaste on a sting stops the pain
- Baking soda is an excellent antacid
- Eating activated charcoal will bind ingested chemicals and poisons
- Aloe Vera gel takes the heat out of burns
- Natural yogurt stops the irritation and clears vaginal thrush
- Natural yogurt takes the heat out of sunburn
- A strong magnet will draw metal to the surface of a wound
- Olive oil smothers head lice killing them. Repeat after 5 days
- Olive oil treats psoriasis and dry eczema preventing cracking
- Cling wrap is the ideal covering for burns
- Cinnamon sticks in a jar with water makes antiseptic mouthwash
- If a wound has glass in squeeze both sides of the wound and it will pop out
- White vinegar treats fungal nail infection. 1 part vinegar 2 parts water
- Duct tape will hold a large wound together until you can deal with it
- Scrape stings out with an ATM card. Pinching it out puts more venom in
- Sanitary towels make excellent pressure dressings
- Seal a sucking chest wound with a plastic bag fixed on 3 sides over the wound
- Clove oil relieves toothache
- Strong, cooled black tea relieves conjunctivitis
- Parsley stops bad breath and contains masses of vitamin C and vitamin A
- Eggshell is the best form of calcium supplement
- Olive oil loosens solid earwax
- Regular sugar heals wounds, just pour it in.
- Tampons work well to plug penetrating wounds
- Curved upholstery needles are good for suturing wounds
- Dental floss is a good substitute for suture material in emergencies
- Toothpaste applied to a blister or cold sore will dry them up
- A patch of duct tape over a wart will kill it. Change patch daily.
- Maggots make excellent cleaners for infected wounds
- Children under 16 should not be given aspirin
- Anyone with clotting disorders should not be given aspirin
- 1/4 aspirin a day helps prevent heart attacks/strokes by thinning the blood
- Cut toe nails straight across to prevent in growing and infection
- A small blob of softened candle wax will seal a tooth where a filling is lost
- Pleasant smells lift the spirit and enhance your mood
- Pregnant women should not eat foods high in vitamin A ( foetal blindness)
- The trace elements in homemade chicken soup does make you feel better
- Sniffing onions or vapour rub causes tears which washes debris from eyes
- Petroleum jelly seals grazes and stops bacteria entering the wound
- A large elastic band/ hair band makes an emergency tourniquet
- keep a hand/foot dressing in place with a fingerless rubber glove
- Hold an arm/leg dressing in place with cut off piece of panty hose
- Strap a broken finger with tape to an unbroken one next to it
- Strap two broken fingers together to immobilise them
- Sneeze into the crook of your arm to avoid contaminating your hands
- Push elevator buttons with your knuckle so your fingers stay clean
- If you can’t wash your clothes seal them in bags for 5 days to kill typhus lice
- Damp dust weekly to prevent mite infestation
- Clean wounds however minor as soon as possible to prevent infection
- Never burst blisters it lets infection in. Blister fluid is sterile.
- Barley water relieves cystitis. (Boil grain and drink the juice)
- Cranberry juice relieves cystitis
- If you pop an abscess use a sterile needle at the bottom to aid drainage
- Files spread disease. Clear all waste, food, human and pet immediately
- Never give alcohol to hypothermic patients, it will cool them more
- Re-warm hypothermia victims with gentle heat and do it slowly
- Don’t rub areas you suspect to be frost bitten it causes more damage
- Prevent scurvy with adequate vitamin C
- Prevent rickets with adequate vitamin D
- Prevent spina bifida in babies with folic acid in pregnancy
- Prevent anaemia with adequate iron intake. Cast iron cookware helps
- Prevent bone/tooth problems with adequate calcium
- Prevent pregnancy by using natural sponge as a barrier to ejaculate
- Natural sponge can also be a reusable feminine hygiene product
S – Size Up the Situation
U – Use All Your Senses, Undue Haste Makes Waste
R – Remember Where You Are
V – Vanquish Fear and Panic
I – Improvise
V – Value Living
A – Act Like the Natives
L – Live by Your Wits, But for Now, Learn Basic Skills
US Army Field Manual 21-76, “Survival”
via Soldier Systems
- It is possible to know the intention and the mission of the drone by using the Russian-made “sky grabber” device to infiltrate the drone’s waves and the frequencies. The device is available in the market for $2,595 and the one who operates it should be a computer-know-how.
- Using devices that broadcast frequencies or pack of frequencies to disconnect the contacts and confuse the frequencies used to control the drone. The Mujahideen have had successful experiments using the Russian-made “Racal.”
- Spreading the reflective pieces of glass on a car or on the roof of the building.
- Placing a group of skilled snipers to hunt the drone, especially the reconnaissance ones because they fly low, about six kilometers or less.
- Jamming of and confusing of electronic communication using the ordinary water-lifting dynamo fitted with a 30-meter copper pole.
- Jamming of and confusing of electronic communication using old equipment and keeping them 24-hour running because of their strong frequencies and it is possible using simple ideas of deception of equipment to attract the electronic waves devices similar to that used by the Yugoslav army when they used the microwave (oven) in attracting and confusing the NATO missiles fitted with electromagnetic searching devices.
- Using general confusion methods and not to use permanent headquarters.
- Discovering the presence of a drone through well-placed reconnaissance networks and to warn all the formations to halt any movement in the area.
- To hide from being directly or indirectly spotted, especially at night.
- To hide under thick trees because they are the best cover against the planes.
- To stay in places unlit by the sun such as the shadows of the buildings or the trees.
- Maintain complete silence of all wireless contacts.
- Disembark of vehicles and keep away from them especially when being chased or during combat.
- To deceive the drone by entering places of multiple entrances and exits.
- Using underground shelters because the missiles fired by these planes are usually of the fragmented anti-personnel and not anti-buildings type.
- To avoid gathering in open areas and in urgent cases, use building of multiple doors or exits.
- Forming anti-spies groups to look for spies and agents.
- Formation of fake gatherings such as using dolls and statutes to be placed outside false ditches to mislead the enemy.
- When discovering that a drone is after a car, leave the car immediately and everyone should go in different direction because the planes are unable to get after everyone.
- Using natural barricades like forests and caves when there is an urgent need for training or gathering.
- In frequently targeted areas, use smoke as cover by burning tires.
- As for the leaders or those sought after, they should not use communications equipment because the enemy usually keeps a voice tag through which they can identify the speaking person and then locate him.
Additional information via AP here
With the US raising their debt ceiling, are we in a global bail-out bubble that will eventually burst? This doc offers a fresh insight into the greatest economic crisis of our age: the one still awaiting us.
The financial storm that has rocked the world began brewing in the US when congress pushed the idea of home ownership for all, propping up those who couldn’t make the down payments. When it all went wrong the government promised the biggest financial stimulus packages in history and gargantuan bailouts. But what crazed logic is that: propping up debt with more debt? “They’re giving alcohol to a drunk: it just sets him up for a bigger hangover.”
Link to Essay — Self-Reliance – Ralph Waldo Emerson